Each year for the past few years, I’ve chosen a few key words or feelings I wanted to focus on for the year. Instead of just choosing arbitrary goals, I’ve picked out the way I want to feel when working on and completing those goals. Once I’ve chosen the way I want to feel, I think strategically about what will make me feel that way and decide on goals based on activities that will make me embody those feelings.
After much soul-searching and a lot of writing (through Danielle LaPorte’s Desire Map* workbook), I’ve come up with the following four feelings for 2016: hygge (a Danish word, approximating the definition of cozy, but encompassing also ‘welcoming,’ ‘warm,’ ‘charming,’ and ‘comfortable’ – all words which I was drawn to at this time), proud, curious, beautiful.
Core Desired Feeling: hygge.
Hygge will feel like: cozy, welcoming, warm, charming, comfortable, light both literally and figuratively, home.
Rituals to help me establish feeling hygge: tidying and cleaning, lighting a chalice regularly, filling my home only with things that project a warm, welcoming feeling.
Core Desired Feeling: proud.
Proud will feel like: accomplished, complete, appreciative, noble, satisfied.
Rituals to help me establish feeling proud: keeping a budget spreadsheet, exercising regularly, keeping my house tidy and ready for company.
Core Desired Feeling: curious.
Curious will feel like: full of wonder, open to new ideas, engaged, ready to learn and create.
Rituals to help me establish feeling curious: reading regularly, creating regularly, making room for the unknown.
Core Desired Feeling: beautiful.
Beautiful feels like: healthy, charming, delightful, radiant.
Rituals to help me establish feeling beautiful: exercising regularly, eating healthily, spending more time in nature, practicing hygge in my home.
Here are some of the goals that I came up with that will help me accomplish these feelings:
- Move to a smaller, safer, easier-to-care-for space that I will keep tidy and cozy for myself and be able to invite others into. Associated feelings: proud, hygge.
- Clean out possessions that no longer serve a purpose or that make me feel “less than” and find a way to arrange possessions according to the Konmari method. Associated feelings: proud, hygge.
- Keep a monthly budget spreadsheet. Associated feelings: proud.
- Make weekly meal-planning a habit. Associated feelings: proud, beautiful.
- Make taking lunch to work a habit. Associated feelings: proud, beautiful.
- Sign up for a spin class and attend regularly. Associated feelings: proud, beautiful.
- Read at least one book a month. Associated feelings: proud, curious.
- Paint at least once a month. Associated feelings: proud, beautiful.
- Contact family and friends and give them a deadline to send me recipes for a family and friends cookbook. Associated feelings: proud, hygge, curious.
- Create a first draft of cookbook. Associated feelings: proud.
- Host a housewarming party in my new home. Associated feelings: proud, hygge, beautiful.
- Invite my parents to stay with me for the holidays. Associated feelings: proud, hygge, beautiful.
- Find a spiritual community closer to home. Associated feelings: hygge, curious, beautiful.
- Establish habits and rituals that affirm. (ex. weekly meal-planning, tidying, lighting a chalice, painting, reading, exercising.) Associated feelings: proud, hygge, curious, beautiful.
These aren’t small goals or few, but I believe they are also achievable. I’m cautiously optimistic and I have not one, but two paper planners to keep me on track this year – one is a normal weekly/monthly planner to keep track of goals and to-dos, meal plans, outfit plans, and checklists; the other is the Desire Map Planner to keep focused on my Core Desired Feelings each day. The second is more like a journal than a planner., somewhere to keep the messy thoughts, the ones that don’t come out coherently to anyone but me.
I’m looking forward to a fresh start, a recommitment to healthy eating, time with friends, and a relatively quiet weekend to get organized, welcoming the new year. Cheers, my friends. To health and well-being, inside and out.
*Core Desired Feelings are part of the wonderful Danielle LaPorte’s The Desire Map, for using your desired feelings to get what you really want out of life. While this is an affiliate link, I truly do believe in this program and what it will do for my life. I am appreciative of the workbook and how it makes me more aware of what it is I truly want and how I can achieve my true core desired feelings. I hope sincerely that you will join me, not because I will make money from your purchase, but because I would love to have allies, friends, and co-conspirators along this journey. Please do leave a comment and let me know if you decide to do this program so we can work through it together. I also purchased Danielle LaPorte’s Desire Map Planner as my planner for 2016. It was a great tool last year and I will be using it again in 2016.