In the past couple of years, I’ve chosen just three words to focus on for twelve months. Last year, my words were Create, Celebrate, Simplify. Though I didn’t follow through with all of the goals I set out for myself, I was relatively happy with how they manifested for me. I got back into writing and wrote more than ever before during NaNoWriMo. I celebrated with friends, I celebrated myself, I even got to travel to Indonesia to celebrate my brother’s wedding to a wonderful Indonesian girl. And I simplified to such a degree that I find myself wanting more, for I have bare walls at home begging for some art.
For 2013, my three words are: Gratitude, Beauty, and Health. Here I have outlined them with words and photos, including ideas on how to better bring these wonderful things into my life and how to move forward with goals that will keep ensure they stay a part of my life.
[I realize that I’m a bit late to the party in posting this, but I’ve literally been working on this all year. (I started the first draft of this post on January 4.) I actually think taking my time and posting about this later in the year has helped to crystallize my vision for what I want and constantly updating this draft has kept me focused on these three words.]
- Goal word: GRATITUDE
- Path 1 to the goal: Keep up my lists of Love A La Carte (gratitude, wonder, and general awesomeness).
- Path 2 to the goal: Live in the moment and be thankful for what I have.
- Path 3 to the goal: Give some of the gratitude away. Instead of random acts of kindness, perform targeted acts of kindness, sharing with friends and family.
- Path 4 to the goal: Complete Danielle LaPorte’s The Desire Map.
- Distractions: Getting stuck in a rut. Getting overwhelmed or stressed.
- Steps to the path: Keep a cup of “great times” moments listed on colorful Post-It Notes, eat seasonal food, update to Happier as often as possible, and take more photographs to document awesome things.
- The finish line: Making 2013 my most grateful, happiest year yet. Feeling a sense of accomplishment. Radiating gratitude and kindness.
- What’s next: Inspiring others to radiate gratitude and kindness.
- Goal word: BEAUTY
- Path 1 to the goal: Spend less money and more time appreciating the beauty that surrounds me. Find the beauty in the mundane.
- Path 2 to the goal: Write about beauty in the world and appreciate the beauty in myself.
- Path 3 to the goal: Take more photographs of the beautiful details in life.
- Distractions: Distractions. Being busy. Lack of awareness.
- Steps to the path: Update my iPhone (camera) to a better one and/or carry my digital camera more often. Make my own beauty products. Organize and weed out beauty products I already own. Stop feeling guilty about making myself look good (STYLE).
- The finish line: Experimenting with multiple design and style aesthetics.
- What’s next: Finding a design and style aesthetic that pleases me.
- Goal word: HEALTH
- Path 1 to the goal: Getting new glasses. (check)
- Path 2 to the goal: Finishing dental work. (check)
- Path 3 to the goal:
Going gluten/wheat-free.(So, okay, I tried this and it didn’t really work out for me. It was too hard not to eat wheat and too expensive to keep up with. But, I tried something new. So, at least there’s that.)
- Path 4 to the goal: Finish one full year on Weight Watchers.
- Path 5 to the goal: Keep current with all doctors’ appointments throughout the year.
- Path 6 to the goal: Start running.
- Distractions: Time restraints, convenience, expense.
- Steps to the path: Track the food that I’m eating, experiment with wheat-free cooking and baking, make and keep doctors’ appointments.
- The finish line: Making 2013 my healthiest year yet. Losing weight. Feeling more full of energy.
- What’s next: Don’t stop. Run a 5k. Run 3-4 times a week consistently. Add yoga.
*All images mine.